|3/stable||123||24 May 2023|
|3/edge||145||23 Nov 2023|
juju deploy kafka --channel 3/stable
Charmed Kafka tutorial
The Charmed Kafka Operator delivers automated operations management from day 0 to day 2 on the Apache Kafka event streaming platform. It is an open source, end-to-end, production-ready data platform on top of Juju. As a first step this tutorial shows you how to get Charmed Kafka up and running, but the tutorial does not stop there. As currently Kafka requires a paired ZooKeeper deployment in production, this operator makes use of the ZooKeeper Operator for various essential functions. Through this tutorial you will learn a variety of operations, everything from adding replicas to advanced operations such as enabling Transcript Layer Security (TLS).
In this tutorial we will walk through how to:
- Set up your environment using LXD and Juju.
- Deploy Kafka using a couple of commands.
- Get the admin credentials directly.
- Add high availability with replication.
- Change the admin password.
- Automatically create Kafka users via Juju relations.
While this tutorial intends to guide and teach you as you deploy Charmed Kafka, it will be most beneficial if you already have a familiarity with:
- Basic terminal commands.
- Kafka concepts such as replication and users.
Here’s an overview of the steps required with links to our separate tutorials that deal with each individual step:
- Set up the environment
- Deploy Kafka
- Manage passwords
- Relate your Kafka to other applications
- Enable encryption
- Cleanup your environment